Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tethered




Valentino - born February 14th


Pounding fence posts in frozen ground by hand as it gets dark in between scout drop off and pick up will normally get the culprit a quick ride to the butchers, but there is always an exception to the rule, and lucky for him he's exempt this time.

This little troublemaker has put me in a lot of pain the last few days a night of limping, a few days so far of bruises.  See he thought he should follow the big boys when they crunched, then jumped the fence the other day and went for a little early spring free-ranging.  The problem arose when I discovered this at hay feeding time and convinced the older 2 to come back by yelling " Hey!  What are you doing?  get back here!" and shook my oats bucket.  The older 2 came a running and hopped over, rather clumsily in the spot they mangled getting out.  This one on the other hand, couldn't figure it out. I guess being barely 6 weeks may have something to do with that. He tried to buck through the fence, the dogs tried to herd him away much to his dismay,  he began to bawl and his bawling caught his Mamma's attention just as I slipped the rope over his neck.  Needless to say muddy ground, weak fencing, a protective Mamma cow, and a calf on rope is not a good mix.   So, here he is now tethered until further notice, notice being when I can get a fencing crew out here to fix the mess of a fence someone did not put in properly (why ask for the fencing how-to book if you are not going to read it?) when I can trust that I won't have to do that again.



On another note, apparently Pandora has listening limits, and since we have gone over hours with the kids nightly lullabies, and I am to cheap to pay a buck to use it till the end of the month, I am listing to my music selections tonite via YouTube, which is much more hands on, but has the added benefit of videos to go with the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment